RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #302

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 May 2002

George,

Re your comment below:

> Needless to say, this type of title [variations
> of "Trouble Is My Business"] is often
> parodied.
> I wonder who wrote the first one?

I won't say categorically that Chandler's is the earliest, but it's certainly the earliest I'm aware of.

The Drum series adopted this title pattern at roughly the time that a paperback edition of the Marlowe stories from THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER was released under the title TROUBLE IS MY BUSINESS. I've always assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the Drum title pattern was adopted deliberately to evoke Chandler, as was Milton Lesser's "Marlowe" pseudonym (which he eventually made his legal name).

JIM DOHERTY