RE: RARA-AVIS: Stephen Marlowe, belatedly: Crider

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 21 May 2002

I am under the impression that, eventually, occasional hb (in the course of everything else) writer and Howard Browne editorial protege/successor (and eventual EQMM managing editor) Paul Fairman was buying the entire contents of FANTASTIC and AMAZING issue after issue from the quartet of Milton
"Stephen Marlowe" Lesser, Harlan Ellison, Randall Garrett and Robert Silverberg (notably, none innocent of CF, and not a little hb writing between them). Glad you could so elegantly have your own status affirmed, Bill! TM

-----Original Message----- From: abc@wt.net [mailto: abc@wt.net] I've enjoyed all the comments on Stephen Marlowe. He's one of my heroes, and the thrill of the Monterey Bouchercon, for me, was getting to sign at the table next to him. I have a photo of me and him that my wife took. Back in the '50s, he was everywhere in the SF digests of the second rank, particularly Imagination, Imaginative Tales, and Amazing Stories. I've been buying a lot of those on eBay (and got sniped on one today by our own Bob Toomey), and sometimes Marlowe wrote entire issues under various names. His output in those days was amazing, rivaling that of Robert Silverberg. I have to agree with Richard Moore that his Chester Drum novels probably aren't the best of Gold Medal, but they're certainly entertaining, and I liked some of the later ones (with the women's names in the titles) even better than the earlier ones. I just finished reading the Ace reprint of Violence is Golden (not a Drum novel), and the hero gets knocked out twice within the first hundred pages. They don't write 'em like that any more.