RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler/Poodle Springs

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 21 May 2002

>judging by the work of many of the contributers to Raymond Chandler's Philip
>Marlowe, I'd say any number of them could have done a much better job than
>Parker. it simply did not feel as if he was inside the head of the character.

Or not. As great as some of those stories are, it's a lot easier to do a short story, and stick to the tried and true, than trying to complete a novel that broke new ground and took Marlowe in a completely different direction.

My guess is that even if Chandler had lived to complete POODLE SPRINGS himself, plenty of you would have been disappointed with it.