Re: RARA-AVIS: pulp covers

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 20 May 2002

> thanks to everybody who pointed out links and books
> with color pulp covers featured. i found a lot of
> covers, but only a few within the hardboiled/noir
> category.
>
> miker
> --
Hi Miker, I've been away so I didn't reply to your query earlier - in terms of books I recommend 2 by Lee Server: DANGER IS MY BUSINESS & OVER MY DEAD BODY. They're both "coffee table" books, I guess, the first about pulp mags, the 2nd about 1950's paperbacks. Nether are exclusively about HB but feature a lot of HB stuff as well as photos of some authors I'd never seen before, including one of David Goodis, Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall together, IIRC & one of a young Charles Willeford in uniform. Also worth checking out (I don't have a copy of this one) is Max Allan Collins's HISTORY OF MYSTERY. It sounds like you might have the original ed. of HARDBOILED AMERICA, the latter ed. which I own has a few colour pages. One website that may not have been mentioned is the Ace books site - I'll have to look up the URL when I get home. Again, it's not exclusively HB but it does have a lot of HB stuff there.

Rene