Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler/Poodle Springs

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 May 2002

<<Since this is the first time since I've joined the list that I've read more than a short story of Chandler's, and given the recent discussion of Parker, I thought I'd ask rara-avians their view of how good a job Parker did with Poodle Springs. (Could you imagine if an unfinished painting by Van Gogh was found and some established, popular, contemporary artist--David Hockney?--'completed' it?)>>

Parker did a good job with what there was. He had to write most of the novel,though. At times, it reads like Parker, but he worked hard on the Chandlerian wisecracking.

By the way, Lawrence Block completed a Cornel Woolrich novel (Into the Night) and did a really fine job of it. You can't tell where the original manuscript ends and Block's starts.

Best,

MrT