Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's style (was Movies better than books)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 20 May 2002

> The last three by Ellroy
> have not convinced me. In fact, I found The Cold Six
> Thousand barely readable and generally disagreeable.
>
> Best,
>
> MrT

 Re: THE COLD 6K. I was going to say I couldn't agree more but actually I would express my opinion more strongly. I think it's barely literate & I have no doubt that if the manuscript had had my name, or Irving Forbush's on it, it would never have gotten past the slush pile. I couldn't begin to enumerate all the problems with the book but one thing that particularly annoyed me was all the coughing & eyerolling the characters were doing. (If I was Ellroy, I could have written "shagging"
& "shagging" but then no-one would know what the shag I was shagging on about.) Well, I've shagged off enough, I'm going to shag a cup of coffee
& shag a bath. "Shag you later" he coughed. The Boys rolled their eyes. The Boys coughed. The Boys were pissed. They were pissed off boffo, as Edgar Hoover would say.

Rene - PS - in case you haven't worked it out "shag" is a verb. Any verb.