Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Parker

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 May 2002

Brian,

Re your question below:

> This brings me to the question: for those of you who
> have seen the A&E
> movies starring Joe Mantegna, how many of you find
> Mantegna, although a
> fine actor, just too "New Yorkey" to be the guy who
> moved from a boyhood in
> Wyoming to an office on Boylston in Boston?

Actually, it's not too "New York," it's too Chicago. In any case, it's neither Wyoming nor Boston. Visually, at least, Urich was a better Spenser for me.

> I have always thought that Alec Baldwin would make a
> superb Spenser.

A little too polished for me, but given the fact that Spenser is Parker's version of Marlowe ("I ask 'What would Marlowe do?' then have Spenser do that."), and given further that Cary Grant was Chandler's choice
(again, at least visually) for Marlowe, Baldwin seems like a reasonable choice.

JIM DOHERTY