RARA-AVIS: Music and Murder

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 19 May 2002

Here's a few crime novel suggestions for Bill Denton to consider if he's making a reading list for his Music and Murder panel at the Bloody Words Conference in Toronto. I am not including the usual suspects such as Kinky Friedman, Bill Moody, Ace Atkins, John Leslie and Charlotte Carter.

The Man with an Axe - Jon A. Jackson - Fang Mulheisen and a jazz sax player in Detroit Specimen Song - Peter Bowen - fiddle-playing Metis in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Montana and Washington, D.C. This is my favourite in the Gabriel DuPre series. Silent Conspiracy - Lee Meadows - Missing black singing group in Detroit Boundary Waters - William Kent Krueger - Famous singer/Father C&W legend The Music Lovers - Jonathan Valin - Disappearance of collectible LPs Straight No Chaser - Jack Batten - Toronto lawyer helps jazz sax player track down his missing horn Wendell McCall (Ridley Pearson) series - ex-musician who hunts down missing musicians so they can collect royalties of which he gets a percentage Jesse Sublett series - Austin guitarist who solves music-related crimes

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg who is Still Looking for Chet Baker (the book that is)