RARA-AVIS: Christopher Brookmyre

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 19 May 2002

Al Guthrie wrote:

>Anyone who likes Hiaasen may want to check out Christopher Brookmyre,
>particularly with British HB month approaching. Brookmyre's often
described
>as a Scottish Carl Hiaasen. As far as I'm aware, he isn't published in
>North America, but all his books are easily available this side of the
>Atlantic.

I don't know how available Brookmyre is in the U.S., but his first four or five trade paperbacks have recently been remaindered in Canada at a price in the $5-6 range. He toured Canada a couple of years ago. Now can Al or any other Rare-Avian provide me with the correct words and the source for the verse that has as its first line "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night" which Brookmyre used as a title? The second line is "Two dead men got up to fight" which could lead to something hardboiled. I have been trying to find out ever since Brookmyre was here, but I couldn't attend to ask him. Ever since then those lines keep coming back to me and people have provided several additional lines that differ slightly plus suggested a number of different sources. P.S. I still haven't read the book, but this is the first time I ever heard him compared to Hiaasen.

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg where it's not a fine day