Re: RARA-AVIS: Mosley and music

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 19 May 2002

You should read RL's DREAM by Mosley. It's a story with an old bluesman as main character.

On the other hand, indeed, Mosley describes here and there musicians in his Easy Rawlins series as part of the Black surroundings, but I had never the impression that music played an important role therein. Maybe I'm wrong.

If not yet done you should read ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, ALWAYS OUTGUNNED by Mosley, a great novel by any standard. If music is not the motto in this novel, it's a way to discover how good this writer can be.

Try also to have a look at 'Really the Blues'(1946), a story with autobiographical intentions by Mezz Mezzrow, but also an exceptional way to have a direct view on the Jazz world and the Black musicians of these days. And a last thing: it's noir, HB for some parts and gripping. Even with its negative reputation for altering facts, it remains a great book.

Hope this helps.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/polarnoir