Re: RARA-AVIS: Anthony Award Nominations

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 May 2002

Jim:

<<SHORT STORY:
"Strangers in Town" by Ross Macdonald in the identically titled short story collection published by Crippen & Landru.

Never before published, this short story was later revised and expanded into THE IVORY GRIN. I'd forgotten what a fine writer Macdonald was until reading these stories, the first new Macdonald material since several years before his death in 1983.>>

I second this. This book is a great contribution to the genre and to the Macdonald canon. The notes alone are worth the price. And it's nice to see the author in full hardboiled mode.

However, and speaking realistically and in the best interest of our art, wouldn't it be better to recognize some author who is writing right now? Macdonald hardly needs the recognition, whereas the short-story genre is struggling.

By the way, I very much like the "Best Mystery Stories of XX" series. It includes a lot of new and unknown authors. Last year's colleciton, edited by Block (I think Penzler culled it down to a final list for Block to read), is fascinating.

Best regards,

MrT

=====
"Don't just do something, sit there!" Thich Nhat Hanh