RE: RARA-AVIS: Movies Better Than Books

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 May 2002

Anders,

Re your comments below:

> BULLITT is certainly better than MUTE WITNESS by
> Robert Pike. I found Pike's novel to be a bit like
> a 87th Precinct novel if Ed McBain hadn't been any
> good.

I'd forgotten about that one, but it's certainly an obvious choice. Reminds of another film of roughly similar vintage that's better than the book, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT.

> Also, Robert Aldrich's KISS ME DEADLY is far
> superior
> to Spillane's very boring novel.

Strongly disagree with this assessment, but, hey, different strokes, right?

> Btw, the remake of THE DESPERATE HOURS must be one
> of
> the very worst adaptions of a good novel in the
> history
> of moving pictures.

You're right about that! Particularly since the novelist, Joseph Hayes collaborated on (or at least was credited with collaborating on) the script.

JIM DOHERTY