RARA-AVIS: Shitbird

From: Charlie.Williams@pinkroccade.co.uk
Date: 16 May 2002

Recently there was some discussion on the origins of "shitbird". I was re-reading The Killer Inside Me yesterday when I chanced on this passage, Lou Ford telling Dr. John Smith how it is:

"But you don't have me confused. You wouldn't know how to begin. You wouldn't know shit from wild honey, so go back and sign your report that way. Sign it shitbird. And you'd better add a footnote to the effect that the next son-of-a-bitch they send out here is going to get kicked so hard he'll be wearing his asshole for a collar."

So there you go - 1952, Jim Thompson. Anyone go earlier?

And if the above passage doesn't make you want to go and read The Killer Inside Me (again), well I don't know...

Charlie Williams.

This communication and the information it contains: - (a) Is intended for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above and for no other person(s) or organisation(s). Access to this mail by anyone else is unauthorised. (b) Is confidential, and may be legally privileged or otherwise protected in law. Unauthorised use, circulation, copying or disclosure of any part of this communication may be unlawful. (c) May be susceptible to interference, and should not be assumed that it has come in its original form and/or from the stated sender or PinkRoccade UK accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in this e-mail or use or misuse thereof or any act done or omitted to be done in connection with this communication. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform postmaster@pinkroccade.co.uk immediately and delete it and all copies from your system.