Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Fast One and Dain Curse

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 16 May 2002

Dick wrote:

> It's been a while since I read "Fast One," but it seemed to be a novel
> to me at the time.

It was originally published as a series of short stories in BLACK MASK magazine & then published in book form as a novel.

> However, David Wilt in his book "Hardboiled in
> Hollywood" (Popular Press), says it's a series of short stories, some
of
> which were used in a movie titled "Gambling Ship." Apparently Cary
Grant
> played a guy named Ace, who is vaguely similar to the novel's
antihero,
> Kells. Wonder if that's what gave Chandler the idea he'd be the
perfect
> Marlowe.

If it was, it wasn't because Grant was being uncharacteristicly hardboiled. He plays a pretty standard Grant character, in his con man/gambler, loveable ne'er-do-well mode. Hustler with a heart of gold, it just needs the right woman to discover it.

Rene