Re: RARA-AVIS: Brussels bookstores

From: Jeremy Duns ( jeremyduns@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 May 2002

--- Peedie Monk < peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> I worked in Brussels for a month last year and found
> it to be a wonderful
> city and a surprising source of US pulp paperbacks.
> The two main sources
> for me were the fleamarket in the Place du Jeu de
> Balle and Pele-Mele at Bd
> Maurice Lemonnier 55.

Al, I'm glad you liked Brussels - it is such an under-rated city. There's almost as good a selection of used books here as in London or New York, I think - at least, there's a lot of the stuff I like. Pele Mele is everything I dream of in a second-hand store
(it also has cheap used videos, DVDs, records, CDs, magazines, comics, computers, board games...) - if anyone here visits Brussels, it's a must. I've bought over two hundred paperbacks from there. I'd also recommend the Dutch chain De Slegte, which always has a good selection of English paperbacks. I found an unread copy of Quiller Balalaika in the Antwerp branch for 3 euros! Jeremy