RARA-AVIS: Re: Bill James

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 15 May 2002

>I went on a Bill James reading jag a while ago, and would second the above
>statement. What I read was bizarre, compelling and original. Some of the
>dialogue is priceless. Desmond Iles of the later books is some sort of
>police procedural version of Richard III. James, I think, has a new spy
>novel of some sort out. Readers unfamiliar with Bill James (a pseudonym for
>James something...Tucker) might want to read him for the British crime
>fiction month.

I reviewed the spy novel, SPLIT, fairly recently...March, maybe? I just was not that impressed with it. Essentially, it's a whole lot of existential angst about the main character's post-Cold War future, punctuated with shouting matches among the various characters and thinly disguised with a plot about which good guys have gone bad.

By contrast, I have review copies of some of the Iles & Harpur novels and have liked what I've read very much. Those reviews will be up over at HandHeldCrime...er, as soon as Jamey and I have a few spare moments.

Victoria

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime and HandHeldCrime/Coffee Cup Press http://www.handheldcrime.com/