RARA-AVIS: THE DAIN CURSE dramatized: Thornton

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 15 May 2002

It was a somewhat unengaging television 2-part miniseries, syndicated in the US in the late '70s.

I took the original question to be, what movies are better than the books they're based on? In HB, so far, I'm having difficulty thinking of a solid example, though the first THE KILLERS is a bit better than Hemingway's story. Certainly not even the excellent adaptations of Hammett and Chandler surpass the books for me; Ross Macdonald's were much more poorly served in film; Jim Thompson's ranged widely...Robert Bloch's books (and scripts) were better than the films made from them... TM

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Thornton [mailto: tieresias@worldnet.att.net]
  Perhaps someone will do a decent adaptation of "The Dain Curse". To my knowledge it has never been translated to film.