RARA-AVIS: Police Memorial Day

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 May 2002

Today, May 15, is Police Memorial Day, and the week of the 12th through the 18th is Police Memorial Week, when police officers who've died in the line of duty, particularly those who've been killed in the previous year, are remembered and honored. September 11 made this one of the worst years for law enforcement (and for their brothers in publis safety, the firefighters, who suffered even greater losses), so it's a particularly appropriate year to keep those cops who died trying to keep us safe in our thoughts and prayers. The characters we read about in the novels and stories we all love "go down those mean streets" only in our imagination. Cops go down those same streets every day for real.

JIM DOHERTY