Re: RARA-AVIS: JDM

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 15 May 2002

> Just picked up "John D MacDonald" by David Geherin. Although it
focuses on
> the McGees, it has a good 50 pages dedicated to the standalones. I
just
> ordered a copy of "A Flash of Green" on the basis of it being one of
JDM's
> "most impressive and ambitious" novels (I seem to remember it being
recently
> touted on the list as well).
>
> George, I know a lot of people rate "The Damned" as nothing more than
an
> imitation Hemmingway. I'm not one of those. I think it's superb. Of
those
> I've read on your list, they're all extremely good, with the exception
of
> "One More Sunday", which is one of two JDM's I couldn't finish.
>
> Al Guthrie

I particularly enjoyed DEAD LOW TIDE, THE EMPTY TRAP, ONE MONDAY WE KILLED THEM ALL, THE DAMNED & THE EXECUTIONERS & several others but I can't recall which in particular (I read a whole bunch over a fairly short period so they blur together). I don't recall any being absolute dogs although the quality varies. J D had a writing style that just hooks you, you read them (esp. the McGees) for the author's voice more than the story itself. In other words, read them all (I've read every one I could, except the one about his cats - Which reminds me, a J D book I haven't read! - 30 odd books, approx. I'll read the others when I find them.)

Rene