Re: RARA-AVIS: New member AND John D. MacDonald

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 14 May 2002

On 14 May 2002, George Upper wrote:

: Now, a question for the hardcore JDM fans: What are the stand-alones
: I absolutely should not miss? I'm getting to the end of my
: read-all-the-Travis-McGee-books-in-order compulsion, and I own a
: number of the stand-alones but have read only a couple.

Of the ones listed, recently I've read A BULLET FOR CINDERELLA, PLEASE WRITE FOR DETAILS, A MAN OF AFFAIRS and BARRIER ISLAND. That last is his last book and isn't as good as the rest, but it's still worth reading to fit it into (as they say) his oeuvre. The other three are all good and different from each other, and THE EXECUTIONERS you won't want to miss--that's what they turned into CAPE FEAR twice. Whatever you pick, you won't go wrong.

Bill