Re: RARA-AVIS: New member

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 May 2002

Ed,

Re your question below:

> Question: I checked out Robert B. Parker's "Savage
> Place"...is this a good starting point with his
> body of work?

Personally, I think the series starts to go downhill after the first four, THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT, GOD SAVE THE CHILD, MORTAL STAKES (my personal favorite), and his Edgar-winner PROMISED LAND, which introduces Hawk
(he's a bad guy, though a sympathetic one, in his first appearance; he gets "reformed" later).

It may be significant that the series starts to diminish after Hawk's introduction, or it may just reflect my prejudice against the "psycho sidekick" character so prevalent in PI novels.

And welcome to the list.

JIM DOHERTY