RARA-AVIS: Re: Michael Connelly

From: Sally Jane Driscoll ( renza9@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 May 2002

I've read The Poet, Trunk Music, Blood Work and Angel's Flight. All were enjoyable but I had some problems.

The Poet is a good story but it bogs down and all the
"G" names got me confused. In Trunk Music the secondary characters were thin and the plot seemed jumbled toward the end. (With all those off-the-cuff references to "trunk music," I still don't know what it's supposed to mean. It's like the title was thought up after the novel was completed and then the term had to be thrown in at a couple of points.) Angel's Flight I found wordy and stiff with a few diatribes that didn't need to be there.

I do like Connelly well enough and am glad of his success but I'm a little leery of trying him again. He reads almost like he's pressured into completion before he's ready.

Cheers,

Sally