RARA-AVIS: Asad and el-Gharbi

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 14 May 2002

>I don't think MPM put in the crying to say "gay = weak". She has
>often written that Arab men did not regard tears as a sign of
>weakness and any number of straight characters have done their share
>of weeping, including Emerson (at weddings and funerals).

good point about the tears, i hadn't thought of that. makes sense. i believe it's Nefret who originally observes that Asad has a crush on Ramses; at least one of them says something right after the attack scene. it made some sense to me that they would observe it but i thought Emerson doing same without having met the guy was weird.

I assumed el-Gharbi was gay or bisexual and i'm thinking he made some comments to the effect of liking boys, not just ramses; there are straight transvestites but el-Gharbi didnn't seem like one. I didn't think of Zaal as gay, anymore than men who commit rape in prison are necessarily gay. it seemed like sadism was more important to him than sex.