Re: RARA-AVIS: Marlowe's Operation Whiplash

From: Peedie Monk ( peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 13 May 2002

Bill wrote:

> If you search Google on 'marlowe "operation whiplash"' one the few hits
> you get is from the list archives where Juri Nummelin (who's off list now)
> quotes Anders Engwall as saying Dan J. Marlowe's late entry in his Earl
> Drake series OPERATION WHIPLASH (1973) is "pretty terrible." I can now
> authoritatively agree with him. The first, THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH
> (1962), shouldn't be missed, though.

I found "One Endless Hour" pretty disappointing, too. There again, it's hard to top the energy and drive of "Name of the Game." Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed Marlowe's "Doorway to Death" - one of five novels featuring Johnny Killain, a hotel detective (the hotel setting spawns a later title in the series: "Doom Service")