RARA-AVIS: The Eyes of a Child

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 May 2002

There was a thread recently about hard-boiled or noir stories told from a child's viewpoint, and I just finished one I thought I'd pass along.

OPEN SEASON by C.J. Box is a rural police procedural. The lead character is a Wyoming Game Warden named Joe Pickett, who's tough, principled, and dedicated. About a third of the book is told from the POV of Joe's older daughter, who's menaced by the bad guy Joe's trying to identify and nail. The daughter's chapters are particularly well-done.

OPEN SEASON was an Edgar nominee in the Best 1st Novel category (and I think it should have won). Those of you who are going to Bouchercon but haven't filled out your Anthony nominating ballots should strongly consider putting OPEN SEASON down as one of your nominees.

JIM DOHERTY