RE: RARA-AVIS: Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties: Crider

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 May 2002

Mario said:
>I would add John
>Dos Passos as a source of literary toughness, alongside
>Hemingway. Ellroy follows Dos Passos pretty closely at
>times...

I agree with you Mario.

For the little it's worth, at a signing about a year ago, I made the mistake of asking Ellroy if Dos Passos was an influence. He said no, and it seemed like a sincere answer. I guess a claim could be made that Ellroy picked up the Dos Passos influence through DeLillo. Or as Ellroy calls him, "Donkey Don."

Chris