RARA-AVIS: Criticism of best-selliong authors in general

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 May 2002

OK, Parker ain't what he used to be, but it's a funny thing that happens to authors on their way to success.

They learn what the broader audience wants and they give it to them -- some get lazy, and I think there is some of that in Parker.

The point is that there is a certain degree of jealousy among all of us. Many of us are writers and we're pissed it ain't us on the best seller list.

I think most people on the Rara-avis list have a certain criteria in mind. We want our PI stuff as good as Chandler and Hammett, We want our noir as good as Cain -- I've been up for a long time and I forgot his first name.

We're a tough audience and when a writer reaches a seven figure income, we expect more out of him or her, and sometimes we get less.

The subject of this post was orginally entitled
"Criticsm of Parker in General," but I got into a world view -- or at least a list view of the subject. OK, it's not a list view, it's only my view.

Jack Bludis

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Coming in September: THE DEAL KILLER