RARA-AVIS: Robert Wilson

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 08 May 2002

I discovered Wilson in the English bookstores of Brussels when I lived there and he was one of my happiest discoveries. Very Chandlerish. A good writer with a nice touch for character and even a better flair for interesting landscapes, which seem to me to be drawn from first-hand experience. Now and then, the logic of his plot movements fail but well worth discovering. I recommend INSTRUMENTS OF DARKNESS and the others in that series. Love the African background.

Wilson was over here for the last Bouchercon and at the cocktail party welcoming the significant number of British attending, he was introduced. Alas, I was unable to attend his panel appearances nor did I spot him hanging out at the bar or lobby available for conversation.

What I have read is quite good and showed vast potential. I hope agents, publishers, editors and his own ambitions don't lead him away from his strengths.

Richard Moore