RARA-AVIS: re: Robert Wilson

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 May 2002

Jim D:

>I tried to start LISBON myself a few weeks ago, and had a harder time
> >getting into it then you're having. I thought it was well-written, but >I
>found the switches back and forth between the present-day police
> >investigation and the WW2 stuff annoying.

I think the "alternating parallel plots" approach is getting to be a more common approach as is mixing the third and first person. I've gotten used to it to the point that I don't mind it but I can see how it would be annoying to some. I instantly got pulled into the first "Ze" section
(modern day Portugal) and was resisting the WW2 part for a while but had really sunk into it by the time it switched again. I'll see how it holds up over the whole book, give a whole report when i finish. I did find an interesting IV with Wilson online though I'm not sure if it was the CWA site and of course now i don't know where i got it. this is the interview where he mentioned being influenced by Chandler and Leonard.

Al, thanks for the info on the Medway books. Maybe with the success of the last two books, these will find their way into print in the US. I note that the hardbacks seem to be going for exorbitant prices online, though fortunately the paperbacks are available for fairly cheap from UK sources. One to look out for anyway.

carrie

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx