Re: RARA-AVIS: Robert Wilson

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 May 2002

Carrie,

Re your comment below:

> I just started "A Small Death in Lisbon" by Robert
> Wilson, which seems to be
> a hybrid of police procedural and wartime thriller.
> . . . Anyway, I'm quite hooked
> by Wilson's writing
> just based on the first few chapters . . .
> so i guess i'm
> basically curious if
> anybody's read the books, how they rate, and where
> Wilson fits in terms of
> genre.

I tried to start LISBON myself a few weeks ago, and had a harder time getting into it then you're having. I thought it was well-written, but I found the switches back and forth between the present-day police investigation and the WW2 stuff annoying. I'd've preferred it if all the cop stuff was together and all the war stuff was together, but I was irritated when, just as I was getting into the murder case, I was suddenly thrust back into wartime Europe, then just as I was getting into the war stuff, I was yanked back into modern-day Portugal. I finally put it aside.

However, Wilson's mystery-writing colleagues apparently thought very well of the book. It won the CWA Golden Dagger for Best Novel. I think there's an interview with him somewhere on CWA's website.

JIM DOHERTY