RARA-AVIS: Robert Wilson

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 May 2002

I just started "A Small Death in Lisbon" by Robert Wilson, which seems to be a hybrid of police procedural and wartime thriller. Not sure where it fits into hard-boiled, though I note that the author cites Chandler and Leonard as his primary influences. Anyway, I'm quite hooked by Wilson's writing just based on the first few chapters. This seems to be the first book he's had published in the States but I see that he has some British publications of crime novels set in Africa with some intriguing titles: A Darkening Stain, Blood Is Dirt The Big Killing, and Instruments Of Darkness - all of which are available pretty cheap on the UK amazon. so i guess i'm basically curious if anybody's read the books, how they rate, and where Wilson fits in terms of genre.

carrie