RARA-AVIS: the anal retentive last line list

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 04 May 2002

did you start the thread about great last lines, george? let me join the anal retentive club with this addition:

from _they shoot horses, don't they?_:

"They shoot horses, don't they?" I said.

yup! i just finished horace mccoy's book. wahoo! i had been curious for a long time about how you could write a book around a dance marathon. now i know. the book jacket says something about the writing using "truncated rhythms", whatever the heck that means.

i hate to peg anything as a period piece, and i'm not doing that here, but cain's _postman_ and mccoy's horse-shooting novel both do a great job of portraying the intense financial desperation of the great depression.

miker