RARA-AVIS: Budrys & Noir Short Stories

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 04 May 2002

Bob wrote:

  The best last
> line I've ever read comes at the end of *Rogue Moon* by Algis Budrys:
> "Remember me to her." Not much of a line by itself. Read the book
and it'll
> break your heart. It's SF, but it's pretty hardboiled.

Although I haven't read it yet, it wouldn't surprise me at all. WHO? by Budrys was HB IMO - (basically a Cold War thriller with astronauts & a tasty little book, IIRC) - and the short story MASTER OF THE HOUNDS from one or other of the "PULP" anthologies (the 1st Jakubowski edited one?) is one of my all time favourite noir short stories along with Goodis's BLACK PUDDING, Bruno Fischer's WE ARE ALL DEAD, Joe Lansdale's THE NIGHT THEY MISSED THE PICTURE SHOW & Joe Gores's SECOND COMING. (The one thing they all seem to have in common is that they are all very dark stories, the Budrys short being no exception).

Rene