Re: RARA-AVIS: Top Five List

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 04 May 2002

The problem with playing this game is that really good last lines don't make much sense if you haven't read the story that went before them. The best last line I've ever read comes at the end of *Rogue Moon* by Algis Budrys:
"Remember me to her." Not much of a line by itself. Read the book and it'll break your heart. It's SF, but it's pretty hardboiled. The other problem is that a lot of really good last lines give away the book, which hardly seems fair. But here's one I like by Clark Howard, the best short story writer in the business. It's from an okay novel, published under what was either the worst pseudonym of all time or a stupid publisher's mistake. I'm guessing the latter. From *Last Contract* by 'Howard Clark' --

"After Willis had left the alley, the cat came out of it's hiding place behind the garbage cans and walked over to Trevor. It whined once, as if in misery, and licked the cheek of the dead man.

"Then it sat with Trevor all night and kept the rats away from him until his body was found by a milkman early the next morning."

I like to think my cats would do the same for me.

BobT