RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #277

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 May 2002

George,

Re your comment below:

> Well, if you insist...Edgar Allan Poe invented
> the--if
> not tortured then at least eccentric--ethical
> intellectual C. Auguste Dupin something like forty
> years before Doyle invented Holmes. I am not by any
> means trying to slight Conan Doyle's contribution to
> detective lit, but Holmes has always seemed to me
> obviously derived from Dupin.

It was obvious to Conan Doyle, too. In A STUDY IN SCARLET, Watson tells Holmes that he reminds him of Dupin (although Holmes bristles at the comparison, we all know it's apt). Later Conan Doyle, commenting on the influence of Poe, said that his predeceesor had left mystery writers who followed, "with no new ground they could confidently call their own."

JIM DOHERTY