RARA-AVIS: Graham Greene

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 03 May 2002

George wrote:

>And speaking of Graham Greene, would anyone care to
>make a recommendation? It's coming up on my birthday,
>and, as usual, I'll be asking for books. Greene is
>one I've felt for a long time that I should read.

my favorite Greene is "The End of the Affair"; not crime fiction and hence not "hardboiled" in that sense though the narrator could fit the bill for a hardboiled character. "Brighton Rock" and "The Third Man" are both crime novels, and at least have elements of hardboiled and noir (actually I've never read the third man, but I understand it follows the film very closely; IIRC, the book was actually adapted from the film rather than vice versa, though Greene wrote both).

carrie