RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #275

From: BetsyaW@aol.com
Date: 03 May 2002

In a message dated 5/2/02 9:07:07 PM, somebody@icomm.ca writes:

<< > In 19th century Britain, what are nowadays hard and illegal drugs were
> acceptable medicines. They were NOT illegal. Queen Victoria was
> prescribed laudanum, which contains cocaine. Cocaine is a
pain-killer; >> There's a book "Subcutaneously My Dear Watson" thatI owned for a while and never got around to reading. About Holmes' use of cocaine in the stories, and the general social attitude toward cocaine during the gaslit atmospherics era. Had footnotes and a bibliography. Betsy