Re: RARA-AVIS: Road to Perdition

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 02 May 2002

> I think that this upcoming film is based
> on Collins' graphic novel, which was an
> attempt to take the Lone Wolf and Child
> story from Japanese comics and give it a
> U.S. base. If you're not familiar with these
> movies, basically the bloody _Shogun
> Assassin_ movie that was a big cult hit in
> the 80s is a dubbed and recombined version
> of two of the films, which follow a disgraced
> samurai as he travels around the country with
> his young son in a wooden cart armed with all
> sorts of ingenious weapons, taking odd jobs/
> assassinations for hire and trying to outwit the
> henchmen of the noble who framed him and
> killed his wife. They're pretty good and pretty
> hardboiled, too.
>
> Craig Larson
> Trinidad, CO

Unfortunately I no longer have my copies of the first 20 or so LONE WOLF
& CUB comics that were published in English translation in the 1980's (I think - covers by Frank Miller, iIRC) but they were some of the best comic/graphic novel, whatever, that I've ever read. I thought of them as being "samurai noir". The movie wasn't bad either but the comix were brilliant. I understand they have been reprinted in more recent times - I strongly recommend LONE WOLF & CUB to any list members who don't have a problem with comix/graphic novels. Think Kurosawa, Sergio Leone & a dash of Hammett or "Richard Stark" at their starkest. (I'm sorry about that). :-)

Rene