RARA-AVIS: Estleman

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 02 May 2002

I like Loren D. Estleman a lot. Earlier this year, I also read his latest Amos Walker,
_Sinister Heights_ and enjoyed it, though it had been awhile since I'd read a Walker book.

Actually as far as starting with him, maybe the best place is with the Walker series. But he has so many other books and is so prolific--almost on a par with Max Allan Collins--that it's kind of hard to pick an area or a character. His historical crime books about Detroit--Whiskey River, Motown, King of the Corner, Jitterbug--are all pretty good. The Macklin series is very good--as I said in an earlier post, I hope there won't be another 10 year wait for another one.

And I've actually read several of Estleman's westerns, which is unusual, for me. I don't really care for westerns, for one thing. But if I like a writer, I'll follow him/her wherever--Joe Lansdale is a good example. I've read everything he's written, including a Batman title called _Captured By the Engines_. Anyway, I liked his take on the OK Corral, _Bloody Season_, and _Journey of the Dead_ is a very good book about Pat Garret's later years, AFTER he's killed Billy the Kid.

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO