Re: RARA-AVIS: women in forensic mysteries

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 May 2002

Carrie,

Re your comment below:

> It's on the same
> lines that I wonder if
> there are really as many Asian-American crime scene
> investigators as you see
> on TV/movies/fiction or if everybody saw whatzisname
> in the OJ trial and
> thought "hey, this would be a good place to put a
> minority character!"

The real-life character was Dr. Henry Lee who, in addition to running the crime lab at the Connecticut State Police, was eventually promoted to commissioner, the first Asian-American to head up a state police force.

I think the "evokes real-life" reasoning was behind the casting of an Asian-American as QUNICY's sidekick, as well. At the time, LA County's real-life coroner, Dr. Daniel Inouye, a Japanese-American, was the most famous forensic pathologist in the country.

JIM DOHERTY