Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford, and Thompson, and Coens, oh my (and more)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 01 May 2002

> Frederick Zackel writes:
>
> Some of this month's hard-boiled scripts from hard-boiled books:
> Title: The Killer Inside Me
> Set in a small Texas town, a local sheriff's deputy hides the fact
that he
> has a psychopathic streak.
> Writer: Andrew Dominik and Robert Weinbach
> Agent: Endeavor (Dominik)
> Buyer: Muse Productions
> Adaptation of the 1952 pulp fiction classic by Jim Thompson. Dominic
Sena
> will direct. Weinbach will produce along with Chris Hanley, Bradford
Schlei
> of Stone Canyon Entertainment and Fernando Sulichin. Jean Labadie will
> Executive Produce.
>
> Fantastic! It will be very interesting to see what they do with it.
Does anyone know anything about the director. Whoh will play Lou? So many questions, hope it sees the light of day someday.

It's been done once before, although not very memorably as I recall, in the 1970's, directed by Burt Kennedy & starring Stacy Leach as Lou Ford. I saw it many, many years ago on TV before I even knew who Jim Thompson was. The movie was totally lacking in the black humour that really attracts me to Thompson's work as far as I can remember. (I just checked it out & noticed that Charles McGraw, the veteran of a huge number of classic films noir was also in it but I don't remember him in the film. Perhaps it's worth checking out again if I get the chance.)

Rene