RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #231

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 01 May 2002

I thought someone posted the guidelines to the original Black Mask or another hardboiled mag once and it had in it that the writing was supposed to be geared towards male readers (paraphrased of course). I tried to find it searching the archive, but never got the right keyword to hit it. Good for trivial interest.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

2nd Annual Country Noir Issue ...
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
... submit by 4 May 2002
-----Original Message----- From: George Upper Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 6:59 AM
This has a lot to do with its origins in the pulps, which were read primarily (thought not exclusively, of course) by blue collar men in the twenties and thirties. There's at least one whole book on this subject...the title escapes me at the moment, but I believe it's by Dr. Erin Smith.