RARA-AVIS: hardboiled K9s

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2002

>>and don't get me started on Toto -

>Toto is a dog. Dogs are not stand-up guys, hence not hardboiled. We >have
>hardboiled-type guys like Chopper Read around to thin their >numbers.
>Rene

except for Fireball roberts, of course; he was a standup bulldog who could hold his liquor. and what about Keller's dog in "Hit Man"? (whose name I am forgetting). true, he was a purebred, but a purebred WORKING dog, does that render him sufficiently tough? And how much more colloquial do you get than
"woof"?

and why do more detectives, even hard-boiled ones, own cats as opposed to dogs? does it tie into the HB hero as loner? Think about DeNiro in "Heat":
"Never have anything in your life that you wouldn't be willing to walk out on in 5 seconds flat." That's a hard-boiled credo if I ever heard one; is there a dog owner alive who could live up to that? Is that why Keller's girlfriend and his dog had to run off together?

It's a Tuesday morning. Inquiring minds want to know.

carrie