RARA-AVIS: Bits and pieces....

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2002

Anthony wrote:

> >I dunno ... I'm still disappointed that Dorothy Gale
> >didn't make it.

Well, you and your fellow friends of Dorothy should have spoken up. Everyone else seems to have been nominated. What was the final list of nominees? 300?

And Carrie:

>and don't get me started on Toto -

Ah, Asta could take him.... (actually, I'm surprised Asta wasn't nominated... after all, he was in a movie.)

Rene wrote:

>I hadn't noticed that the original was anti-American. Does portraying
>the US involvement in Viet Nam critically define it as being
>anti-American?

For some people on this list, yeah.

And as for Marlowe knowing (or not knowing) what to do with a naked woman in his bed, well, I don't think any less of him for chucking out Carmen. In fact, I thought it was a sign of strength and principle, not weakness. You can be hard-boiled and still be a little choosy about whom you sleep with. Maybe some of the folks who took Marlowe to task for being discriminate have been a little, uh, lonely lately.