RARA-AVIS: "Apocalypse Now, Redux"

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2002

I saw the "re-do" of "Apocalypse Now," and I think what put it entirely into focus was the scene at the French Plantation. It brought the history of the West and Indo-China into perspective.

The addition of that scene alone made it a better movie, but I think, the original ending--at the end where it belonged--was better.

Why are we talking about this?

If it's to determine if the Sheen character hardboiled? You bet. The Brando character? Absolutely--but both were pragmatists as they understood pragmatism as well as tough. The film explained how the same issue can be seen from two different sides.

In one of Brando's speeches, he may have explained the rationale of suicide bombers today. Please note that I said "rationale" and not
"justification."

(I could have done without the new scene of the USO girls high on grass and whatever though. I thought the original USO scene made its point, and the second scene with the girls was not only overkill, it accomplished nothing. It seemed like padding.)

I think that "Redux," with that last exception, was a much better film.

Jack Bludis

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Coming in September: THE DEAL KILLER