RARA-AVIS: devil in a blue dress

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2002

This past weekend I read Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley. I found this to be a very well-written book, a good introduction to the characters that I had already encountered in a later book (Black Betty). This book went very quickly and managed to cove a lot of plot, a lot of characters, along with great time & place description and social commentary that fit the story and didn't feel forced. The only weakness, which is fairly minor, is a rather large cast of characters for such a small book; there were quite a few major and minor gangsters who weren't differentiated very well, but that's a small point.

Later I rented the movie; Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle were well cast as Easy and Mouse, but the plot seemed overexplained and watered down. and some of the rather provocative ideas about racial identity in the book were changed rather dramatically.

carrie

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx