Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Character Traits

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 29 Apr 2002

> Unfortunately people don't walk around with their bios around their
> necks and we're left to judge them based on what does show.
>
> --
> Anthony Dauer
> Alexandria, Virginia

I think the point here is that in Marvin's case it does show. He seems tough because he is tough. (On the other hand, classic screen bad guy/gangster Marc Lawrence was so convincingly tough that real life gangsters such as Lucky Luciano sought his company because he embodied their visions of themselves as tough guys - yet he was a professional actor his whole life, an irony that he reflects on, IIRC, in the interview that was published in THE BIG BOOK OF NOIR)

Rene