RARA-AVIS: R.I.P. Robert Urich

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Apr 2002

He weren't no Humphrey Bogart nor no Bob Mitchum, but this actor, who passed away recently long before his time, was very active in our genre. In addition to the title role in SPENSER FOR HIRE, he played hard-boiled Nevada PI in VEGA$, a Southern California special weapons cop in S.W.A.T., and various cops, crime-solvers, and murderers in a host of TV-movies.

I always preferred his Spenser to Joe Mantegna's
(heresy to many on this list, I know, but it's mainly because Urich fit the part visually better than Mantegna did; and I'm not such a big Parker fan anyway, so my opinion counts for little), and I though he gave a helluva performance as the slightly crooked ex-Ranger Jake Spoon in LONESOME DOVE. I also think he faced the disease that finally killed him with a lot of class and courage, and thought his passing should be noted here at Rara-Avis.

Rest in peace, Mr. Urich.

JIM DOHERTY