RARA-AVIS: Russian obscenities (was Arkady)

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 29 Apr 2002

>Carrie wrote: When I took Russian in college, we were counseled always to
>use the informal "mama" rather than the proper "mat'" ... the profs never
>told us what the actual phrase was.
>
>Mine didn't either. The closest they came was "Vash mat'," meaning "Yo'
>mama," but humorlessly. I think I once found out the verb but the wind
>done took it.

Oh, heck, my profs loved that kind of thing. The full phrase is, as closely as I can transliterate it, yob tvoi mat' (using the informal rather than the formal "your").

Victoria

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime and HandHeldCrime/Coffee Cup Press http://www.handheldcrime.com/