Re: RARA-AVIS: :Hardboiled Character Traits

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Apr 2002

Mark,

Re your comment below:

> I probably started this by objecting to Jim's
> writing that Gutman isn't hard
> boiled. I should have remembered he didn't have to
> be because he appeared in
> a classic of hard boiled fiction. In excuse, I
> objected Jim's calling him
> 'prissy' when he isn't though Joel Cairo certainly
> is.

The funny thing is, I brought up Gutman to show that it was appropriate, given the parameters of the list, to include non-hard-boiled characters on the list if they were good characters and came from hard-boiled novels, in order to show that Angie Gennaro's hard-boiledness wasn't the issue so much as her quality and worth as a literary character.

I chose Gutman as my example because (and here's the funny part) I thought he was so obviously and manifestly NOT hard-boiled that using him as an example of a non-hard-boiled character in a hard-boiled novel would be entirely non-controversial.

JIM DOHERTY